Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Japan Trip, Spring 2024: Intro...

In spring of 2023 I was able to visit Japan after not travelling there since 2008.  Most of the Covid related restrictions had eased, allowing me to again visit Ajari Tanaka.  I hadn't seen him since his last Vermont visit (2019), an interruption of nearly four years.  True to form, he met me at the airport and we rode the Keisei Skyliner to the station in Ueno near my hotel.

It was wonderful to reconnect after all those years.   Prior to this interruption, from 2000 to 2019 he visited Vermont every year (except once) for a two week visit during which he conducted sangha retreats, gave advanced teachings, visited his Vermont friends, performed calligraphy demonstrations, led meditations and among lots of other stuff, just enjoyed the time in a place he'd lived for twelve years.

Prior to 1999, as Ajari lived here in Vermont and I saw him all the time and actively trained with him for ten years.  That was the best.  Really, the absolute best...


So I was pretty spoiled and had grown accustomed to spending time with Ajari Tanaka regularly, training and working on things with him and just visiting, enjoying his company.

But now Ajari is older and it doesn't seem like a long trek to Vermont is in the cards. 


Plus, I have gotten a taste for visiting Japan, so I went back again this spring.  The trip included a short stay in Tokyo, the final section of the Shikoku pilgrimage with Ajari and his Japanese students (amazing), a brief visit to Koyasan (also with Ajari and his students), a long visit to Nara (fantastic) and then a few more days in Tokyo.  It was spectacular.

I'm already plotting my 2025 trip...

Stay tuned for the details from this year's trip...


P.S. If you are interested in the study and practice of Shingon as taught by Ajari Tanaka please email us at mandalavermont@gmail.com... 

No comments:

Post a Comment